Wednesday, February 23, 2011

We are blessed!

Over the past few weeks, we have been anxiously awaiting news on a genetic test we had done on Jake for Fragile X. Needless to say, we have been trying our best to keep our minds busy and not worry. I am so happy to report that the test came back NEGATIVE!!!!!!! Mike and I never really thought the diagnosis "fit" him, but it's always good to rule out areas of concern.
Jake continues to be a mystery to us. He takes leaps and bounds in his development, but then he plateaus for quite some time. We are concerned b/c we have been working so hard with him on his speech. I really am beginning to think if he has an auditory processing disorder. I have inquired with our speech therapist and she thinks it might fit as well, but would never diagnosis that until he is school age. I really believe that Jake will end up being as "typical" as any other kid, but we may need to help w/ his learning style. I get so overwhelmed sometimes- mainly b/c of the unknown. When you know what you are dealing with, it might be hard initially to handle a particular diagnosis, but at least you know. You can do research, you can figure out the professionals whom will help best, you can guide his treatment in the most beneficial way. With Jake- we simply do not know! Thankfully, we have an amazing team of professionals who really care about Jake.

As far as other news in our life goes, well- things never slow down, that's for sure! Alexis has been driving for less than a month and it's a blessing and a curse. I LOVE not having to carpool her all over and I KNOW she loves the freedom to go on her own. BUT, she also had her first crash. Not a big one. But still, I guess it's a way we all somehow get inducted into driving. She will learn how to be wary of her surroundings and extra cautious as she continues to drive.

My new adventure in my career has taken some great turns and I am happy with the choices that I have made. I am not sure that I will ever be "ready" to leave my agency, but I like having my "own" as well. For some of you who know me, it might seem odd to you b/c I am a pretty independant person, but I really enjoy having a boss. I like being a part of a team and having other professionals to consult with about my cases. I am not sure I would ever be comfortable with handling the type of severity on my own that I do with my agency and I really enjoy the differences.

Mike and I finally got an evening to our ourselves a few weeks back and it was so nice! Those don't often come. I think we need to really look into making that a priority. Our relationship can only get better if we take time away from all the stresses of daily life and focus on the two of us.

All in all - life has been awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment