Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Can't we all just get along?

Such a cliche right? But as I have sat and thought over the past while, it is a true statement/question. I listen to problems people have, reality tv shows displaying people's lives, personal relationships, etc etc etc- and I just don't understand why people can't get along. We all have our own opinions and we don't have to agree with each other, we don't even have to like each other- but how about having mutual respect? How about agreeing to disagree?

Sometimes I think about my marriage and when we are struggling, as all married couples do, I just don't understand why. We love each other, we want what's best for each other, we want to be married, but yet we can each be so careless with our words and the impact those words have. We can be careless with listening and really putting an effort towards working on our relationship.

All relationships take work, it's really a matter of whether you want to put that work towards it. I've heard some people claim that marriage doesn't- or shouldn't- take "work". But realistically, how can you not put effort towards your relationship? How can you expect that the same feelings you had when you first started dating will be there, untarnished, when the pressures of life get in the way? And it's not that we don't love each other now even more than we did way back when we were dating, but when we were dating, we had limited time with each other. We planned out things to do in that time. I remember how it felt to leave Mike's house in the morning to go into work the next day. I felt on top of the world. We had a great night the night before. I got to wake up next to someone that I normally did not. It was fun. Now- we have carpools, fighting with the boys to behave and allow us to get ready, try to get out the door at a reasonable time, try to arrange work times to match with daycare times, etc etc etc. There always seems to be such a lack of time.

And then the pressures of "real life". You know, "real life" sucks! Ok- it sucks sometimes. I really do love my life! I love my husband, I love my kids, I love my family, I love what I do. But, for once, I would love to love a private island in Fiji! I don't want to deal wiith homework, paperwork, remembering appts, trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Gosh- I'm such a whiner! WOW! Well, I guess this is the place to whine though. I really think that Mike should buy lotto tickets every week so we can win already. Those who have said money doesn't buy happiness, doesn't seem to understand that if I had money I could have more free time and that would give me more happiness!

I thought about posting all day long. I think this will be a good thing- even if I do ramble and don't make sense to everyone else out there ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment